UK music licensing bodies PPL and PRS for Music have joined forces in a commitment to provide simple and efficient music licensing for early years settings…
MUSIC IN EARLY YEARS SETTINGS can be a powerful tool, encouraging children to be active, involved and confident while learning and having fun. It can be a wonderful outlet for children to express themselves. However, did you know that in most cases, you’ll need a music licence before pressing the play button?
PPL and PRS for Music have announced a new joint licence for nurseries, playgroups, preschools and crèches – creating an easy onestop shop for nurseries across the UK. Previously the nurseries sector was licensed separately, requiring customers to obtain licences from both organisations in order to play recorded music. The joint licence, administered by PPL, allows customers to obtain both a PPL and PRS for Music licence via a single contact point in a single transaction for £80 per annum.
PPL Operations Director Christine Geissmar said the licence will enable nurseries to benefit from a broad range of music uses, including dance and movement classes, fetes and fairs, holiday clubs, childminding services, television and cartoon showings, and general background music. “Creating a single point of contact for customers allows us to significantly simplify music licensing for these UK businesses,” she said. “It is in our members’ and customers’ interests to ensure that our licensing is ever more accessible and efficient.”
Paul Clements, Commercial Director, PRS for Music, said, “Music plays a vital part in a child’s earlylearning, providing a valuable channel for children to express themselves. PRS for Music and PPL want to ensure the licence to play music is accessible and simply attainable so that all premises have the opportunity to incorporate music into their daily offering.”
- The joint licence will simplify music licensing for nurseries.
- Owners and operators only need to obtain a single joint licence, available through PPL over the phone or online.
- The cost per premises is £80 p.a. plus VAT.
- If using music solely for instructional purposes at an educational establishment, or if all the music you play is not licensed by PRS for Music and PPL (who license the vast majority of music that is available today), you may not need a licence for your premises.
- If you are unsure whether you need a licence, please call PPL on 020 7534 1100 or see our FAQs at ppluk.com/nurseries
What do you need to do?
Existing PPL and PRS for Music customers will be transitioned over to the joint licence upon expiry of their current licence. Nurseries without a current licence but who play recorded music can apply for a joint nurseries licence online at ppluk.com/nurseries or by contacting PPL on 020 7534 1100.
The Learning Escape by TG Escapes.